September 7, 2013

A TV Station for Dogs? Huh?

Okay seriously. Apparently there is now a TV station for dogs. No, not about dogs. FOR dogs. This is what the website says:

DOGTV’s 24/7 programing helps stimulate, entertain, relax and habituate
dogs with shows that expose them to various movements, sounds, objects,
experiences and behavior patterns, all from a dog’s point of view.

Who pays for this? Who uses this? Who would purchase this channel? Oh my goodness. I really don't know what else to say.

Oh trust me, I LOVE dogs. Anyone who knows me, knows how much I adore animals, especially doggies and how much I love Chewie. But come on, isn't this a little over the top????

3 comments:

Moray said...

That's ridiculous! And the marketing... "stimulate" _and_ "relax"? At the same time? "Habituate" them to what, exactly? "24/7"? Is your dog nocturnal? Do you want to waste electricity like that?

Presenting a dog with a world in which everything has an identical unchanging smell of electronics is like presenting a human with a world where everything is either pure black or pure white. It's weird, and wouldn't make sense.

Wait, is it... snigger... advertising supported? Is the dog supposed to spend all night watching TV and then come to its owner and say "Wuff!"* "Wuff-wuff!"**

All I can say is http://youtu.be/LpHpm_b0vRY

* "Why does this smell funny?"
**"Squirrel! Oh Boy! Walkies!"

Moray said...

I wonder if these people have read Miklósi, Adám (2007). Dog Behaviour, Evolution, and Cognition. Oxford University Press:

Dogs have a temporal resolution of between 60 and 70 Hz, which explains why many dogs struggle to watch television, as most such modern screens are optimized for humans at 50–60 Hz.

[From Wikipedia: Dog]

Moray said...

"Wuff! Wuff!"*
"Wuff!"**
"Wuff-wuff!"***
"Wuff!"****

* "Oh no, not 'orange ball bounces across the lawn' again! It's so boring!"
** "Ball? There's a ball? Oh yes, we we're orange/green colour-blind, aren't we?"
*** "Why is there nothing on but re-runs?"
**** "I have to watch television all night and now they expect me to play 'catch'? I'm exhausted!"

Post a Comment